Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Pirates, Cannons, a Fort, and a phone call

St. Augustine, Florida is the oldest continually occupied city in the United States.  It has the oldest wooden school house on St. George Street, and a fort dating back to the 1600's.  We loved the history, the beautiful beaches and gardens, and the amazing Fort Castillo De San Marcos.  The fort was made with coquina which is rock formed from tiny seashells that is strong enough to repel cannon balls!

Here I am with a "pirate" outside the store where we bought pirate hats for our grandson's.  I can't wait until we're all together this summer and I can get a picture of them wearing them! 

I will always remember St. Augustine, and Fort Castillo De San Marcos with it's enduring strength that has stood defiantly for over 400 hundreds years against wars, fires, tornadoes, and hurricanes.  I will use it's memory as a symbol of God's strength in my own life and in the lives of all the people that I love!

Oh, and the phone call that I recieved from home while visiting the fort felt like a cannon ball, for the first time in history, did penetrate the walls and land in the middle of my stomach.  But, like the coquina, God has placed His love and strength all around our family and we are safe, I feel it!

No comments:

Post a Comment