Sunday, November 20, 2011

Teaching Honesty

I have a confession to make; I like to control outcomes.  This morning my devotional read, So keep your focus on the path just before you, leaving outcomes up to Me.  That's it, I thought, that's what I was trying to do last week.  Let me explain.

 I found Sharlet struggling with her backpack when I arrived to pick her up from preschool on Thursday. Trying in vain to put it on over an unzipped and oversized winter coat, she smiled as I rushed to her side hoping to ease her frustration.  "The monkey Sharlet brought to school today is in her backpack,"  explained her teacher, Miss Lise, as we waited  for our turn to exit through the crowded doorway.  I must have looked perplexed because she asked, "It is her monkey isn't it?"    Miss Lise began handing out notes and artwork to other parents and grandparents as I gently turned Sharlet around to unzip her backpack.  I caught Miss Lise's eye again and shook my head, no. Holding the kidnapped monkey out to her I whispered, "Just sneak it back in inside she won't....", but before I could finish explaining my plan Miss Lise broke in, "Oh, no!  I'm going to teach her."  Of course she is, she's a teacher and teachable moments like these are why Sharlet is here; to learn.  I felt ashamed of my desire to take the easy road, to send the monkey back to preschool on the path of least resistance.  Teach her; now there's a revolutionary idea, I thought, sarcasticly heaping a little more shame upon myself.  Miss Lise stooped down to Sharlet's eye-level, and with the coveted monkey in her arms she asked Sharlet again if it belonged to her.  Sharlet began to cry and shook her head, no.  After a brief explanation of why the furry friend could not accompany us, Miss Lise stood up and waved the monkey's arm in a goodbye gesture.  Sharlet took my hand and with tears still flowing, we strode slowly and solemnly to the car. 

I began to do a personal inventory (as we say in the Alanon program) on our drive home that morning.  I asked myself several questions that I didn't have answers to, until now.  Sharlet and I were good students that day.  She learned that deceit will not bring reward, and I learned that trying to control the outcome of a situation can distract me from having a real, God-given positive affect on it.  Thank you, Miss Lise 

Sharlet and Miss Lise

No comments:

Post a Comment