Tuesday, November 15, 2011

You Hold the Flashlight...

It is a gorgeous autumn day; sunny and warm for Michigan this time of year, and the bikepath outside my window is beckoning me to take a walk. I will be out there soon enough, but first I have a thought that I would like to share.

I have been learning that Jesus needs the consent of my will to enter my heart and my mind.  I have also learned that when I become willing He will guide my thoughts minute by minute.  I've been learning to trust Him with the situations that burden my heart.  I'm learning to trust that when I bring brokeness to Him, He wants to fix it and I have got to leave it there in His hands.  I can't continue to fret and worry about it, which always makes me want to take it back and try to fix it myself.  This picture that appeared on my daughter, Kayla's blog a while ago is a perfect illustration of this for me.

My son-in-law, Daniel is fixing a chair and my grandsons, Bright and Zion are assisting him.  Daniel is allowing them to "help" in order to teach them a little bit about home maintenance and resourcefulness.  Notice Bright's hand very carefully immitating his father's hand and Zion holding the flashlight.  I know there are times when my heavenly father delights in my immitating and joining Him in His work.  He knows I need and want to do something to "help" fix what's broken in this very troubled world we live in.  But, there are other times when He just wants me to hold the flashlight and watch and wait.  Then, when the miracle happens, I'm to keep shining light on it to bring Him the glory for the things He has done.  I love this picture and I'll take it with me, in my heart, on my walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment