Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Sisters

A sister will always share her hopes and dreams with you,
And listen quietly with care,
In hopes that yours come true.

A sister is a hug, a smile,
The familiar sound of laughter.
One you've known all the while,
And a friend forever after.




I wrote this for my sister, Sandy, when she was in college.  I used a typewriter at our old highschool, decoupaged it onto a block of wood, and gave it to her for Christmas.  A couple of years ago I saw it someplace in her house when she was looking for something for me.  It was supposed to look old when I made it, that's what we aimed for back then (I think I even scorched the edges with a lighter before I attached it) but now.....it WAS old and she still had it.  It had gone with her from married housing in college to her first apartment, to her second apartment, to a rental house, to the first house they built, to the second house, to the third house, to the fourth house.  How many times must she have asked herself, "Do I really need to keep this?"  I smiled when I saw it that day, just for a second, as it tumbled by with all the other things in a drawer she was searching through.  I don't recall if she found what we were looking for that day, but I did....it was her love.



4 comments:

  1. You were blessed to have a sister- I have always wanted one. The hurt has to go deep. Love you Marcy.
    Belva

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was blessed beyond measure, thank you Belva...love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so beautiful aunt Marcy! I can definitely hear her voice saying that too. Love you!
    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so beautiful aunt Marcy! I can definitely hear her voice saying that too. Love you!
    -Abbey

    ReplyDelete